[GE users] manipulating resources

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed May 23 15:24:56 BST 2007

Am 23.05.2007 um 15:47 schrieb Dave Love:

> Is there a hook I've missed that can be used for the scheduler
> actively to request and release resources, as opposed to acting
> passively on what's available?  For instance, it would be useful to be
> able to power nodes up and down on demand in the case of a system
> which isn't used continually or heavily.

This could be done by a small script on the headnode (e.g. also in a
load-sensor which you "abuse" slightly in this case), which will
power up nodes (by any ethernet or serial controlled mains outlet) if
there are pending jobs, and issue a proper shutdown (like /sbin/init
0 in Linux) in case where a node is idling and no waiting jobs.