[GE users] manipulating resources

Wed May 23 17:37:31 BST 2007

This is the domain of Hedeby (http://hedeby.sunsource.net/), but until
it's done, you can hack together a script-based solution like Reuti
suggested.  If you're really creative, you could set up two dummy queues
and use their suspend and resume methods to start and stop servers.
I've done that before with an app server cluster.  Another alternative
would be to use a third-party monitoring tool.

Daniel

Reuti wrote:
> Am 23.05.2007 um 15:47 schrieb Dave Love:
>
>> Is there a hook I've missed that can be used for the scheduler
>> actively to request and release resources, as opposed to acting
>> passively on what's available?  For instance, it would be useful to be
>> able to power nodes up and down on demand in the case of a system
>> which isn't used continually or heavily.
>
> This could be done by a small script on the headnode (e.g. also in a
> load-sensor which you "abuse" slightly in this case), which will power
> up nodes (by any ethernet or serial controlled mains outlet) if there
> are pending jobs, and issue a proper shutdown (like /sbin/init 0 in
> Linux) in case where a node is idling and no waiting jobs.
>
> -- Reuti

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]