[GE users] Controlling when hosts can be used?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed May 23 21:51:46 BST 2007

I'm completely new to distributed batch processing and haven't been able to
find the information I need by reading the grid engine man pages.  We have a
series of fairly uniform hosts (Solaris/Intel, NFS available everywhere) on
which we'd like to run a lot of batch jobs subject to availability.  Many of
the hosts are either on desktops or are compute servers which run dedicated
jobs much of the day, but are free off-hours.  Is there some way to tell the
system that a particular machine is off limits during a statically
prescribed time or is load average the only way to specify availability?

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/