[GE users] Permission problems in install_qmaster

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri May 25 20:07:31 BST 2007

So I installed the binary sol-x86 and common distros for SGE 6.1 by simply
untarring them into the destination directory (all owned by user skipm).  I
didn't install ARCo as it said they were optional.  I set up SGE_ROOT to
refer to /var/opt/sge, cd'd to the install directory, then executed
./install_qmaster as root.  It noted that the install directory was owned by
skipm and I responded that it should install with skipm as the admin user.
I successfully (I think) navigated the various screens until after I set the
execd_spool_dir and administrator_mail parameters.  Then it complained about
permissions:

    Command failed: ./utilbin/sol-x86/spooldefaults configuration /tmp/configuration

    Probably a permission problem. Please check file access permissions.
    Check read/write permission. Check if SGE daemons are running.

I've no idea how to tell what file access permissions are wrong or right.  I
ran as root but told it user skipm would be the admin.  The first time
through some files were owned by root, so I executed chown -R skip:develop
/var/opt/sge to make sure I owned everything.  I then tried again as root.
Same error.  I then tried again as skipm.  Same error.

At one point it gave this screen:

    Verifying and setting file permissions
    --------------------------------------

    Did you install this version with >pkgadd< or did you already
    verify and set the file permissions of your distribution (y/n) [y] >>

I answered in the affirmative, realizing I didn't really have any way to
verify the file permissions.  The install script then said "we don't do
windows":

    We do not verify file permissions. Hit <RETURN> to continue >>

Where are the canonical permissions stated so that I can verify them?

I've tried everything I can think of to work around this problem (install as
skipm, install using sudo, install using sudo followed by su -, change
$SGE_ROOT ownerships).  I'm out of ideas.  Any help appreciated.

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/