[GE users] creating a Master queue

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon May 28 22:07:11 BST 2007

Am 28.05.2007 um 22:22 schrieb Milo:

> Thanks Reuti, re-read the post you made earlier and fiddled with
> some stuff
> until I got it working. I do have one more question tho.
> What is the relationship between the -machinefile argument to
> mpirun within
> my run script and the queue's SGE assigns the job to?  It seems the
> node
> names I have defines in the machines file don't really make a
> difference,
> SGE chooses available nodes of its choosing according to some
> algorithm.
> Yet, without the -machinefile argument and an appropriate node
> file, the job
> doesn't run.
> The problem I foresee in the future is not knowing which names to
> put in my
> machines file since I wont know what nodes will be available when
> the job
> reaches its time to run.

The is a directory "mpi" in your $SGE_ROOT, which will give you some
inital ideas how to supply SGE's node selection to your MPI program.
For a Tight Integration, where also the rsh for the startup of the
slave tasks will be controlled by SGE, please have a look at the
appropriate Howto for your MPI implementation:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/howto.html#Tight%20Integration%
20of%20Parallel%20Libraries