[GE users] qdel implements a SIGKILL signal ?

goncalo at lip.pt goncalo at lip.pt
Tue May 29 16:20:23 BST 2007

Hi there,

I have a very important doubt regarding SGE "qdel" command. To clarify
my doubt, I tried to run the following script from my submission host:

#---

#!/bin/sh

trap 'fatal_error "Job has been terminated by the batch system"
"TERM"' SIGTERM
trap 'fatal_error "Job has been terminated by the batch system" "INT"' SIGINT
trap 'fatal_error "Job has been terminated by the batch system"
"QUIT"' SIGQUIT
trap 'fatal_error "Job has been terminated by the batch system"
"ABRT"' SIGABRT

echo "OLA"

fatal_error() {
         echo "hi $1 $2"
}

sleep 2222222  &
wait $!

#---

Then I've submitted this script to SGE, and after it starts running, I
deleted the job using "qdel job_id". The standard output produced was:

#---

[lnlip01] ~ > cat test.sh.o38047

#############
# ATTENTION: Running PROLOG for test.sh on Tue May 29 16:12:38 WEST 2007
# ATTENTION: Job test.sh, ID=38047 from user goncalo will be executed
in host lfcomp03.lip.pt
#############

OLA

#############
# ATTENTION: Running EPILOG for test.sh on Tue May 29 16:13:45 WEST 2007
# ATTENTION: Job test.sh, ID=38047 from user goncalo ended on Tue May
29 16:13:45 WEST 2007

#---

 From this, I'm forced to conclude that qdel uses a SIGKILL signal and
not a SIGTERM. Is this right? If this is the case, what do we do
regarding children processes?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards

Goncalo