[GE users] can't set "enforce project" parameter on hosts

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed May 30 17:16:08 BST 2007

Hi,

Am 30.05.2007 um 16:11 schrieb John Mc-Nicholas XJ (GU/ETL):

> Hi Reuti
>
> "There is also a setting "projects" in each exec host's definiton
> (qonf
> -me <node>)."
>

> That is correct but It doesn't help me unfortunately.
> I wish to set the "enforce project" parameter so that when a user
> submits a job , he/she must enter a mandatory project name.
> This is possible globally. With the global enforce project
> parameter but
> I only want to apply this to a small subset of users , on a trial
> basis.
>
> I thought this would be possible by only giving them access to certain
> hosts and setting "enforce project = true"
> for only these hosts.
> Other users can continue to submit jobs without the project name.
>
> I hope this clears things up

well, then you could define something like:

- one "defaultproject" for all "normal" users
- one users list with the special users
- add this list to Xusers in this project

- two, three,... "extra-projects"
- add the above list here to Users

Now the idea is, to give "normal" users a default project, and there
is more then one way to achieve this without their intervention:

a) - put a "-P defaultproject" in the sge_request, or
b) - define this defaultproject in SGE's configuration
"auto_user_default_project   defaultproject", or
c) - define all users by hand (qconf -auser <user>) with the
"defaultproject" as their "default_project"

Now for the special users:

- nothing to do if you chose a) or b) above: the special users will
get an error message at qsub, as they won't belong to the
"defaultproject"
- for c), set "enforce_project" to true in SGE's configuration
- works always: define them by hand with one of their projects as
default. Once a project is set, it can't be removed AFAIK during the
qsub

> and someone can come up with a solution.
> I did also try qconf -mconf "host" and set "enforce project = true"
> but
> this changed has been ignored by grid.

It's documented this way in the manpage.

-- Reuti