[GE users] Where to locate executables and libraries

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 1 10:30:33 GMT 2007

Hi,

Am 01.11.2007 um 10:28 schrieb Atle Rudshaug:

> The program I am executing consists of an executable (~20MB) and 3
> libraries (~2MB). The program is still under developement so the libs
> and executable would need to be updated now and then.
>
> What is the best way to handle the location of these files? Is there
> some way to automatically transfer all needed files to the execution
> hosts (like Condors transfer_input_files)?
>
> Or must the executable and libraries be located in the same path on
> all execution hosts? Should they be put on NFS? I tried that but must
> the libraries are still not found even if they are located next to the
> executable in the NFS folder. Do I have to compile the executable with
> paths to the libraries in NFS?

you can put the program and the program's libs on NFS. The system
libs can still be local, maybe you have to:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<your_nfs_lib_location>${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:}
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

in your jobscript to get both paths.

> How much network traffic will this cause on the NFS server when, say,
> 1000 jobs want to access the executable. The jobs are between 2-20
> seconds long by the way.

There are chances, that they are still in the file buffer on the
nodes, hence will be downloaded only the first time.