[GE users] Help: PE details

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Nov 1 13:36:29 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 21:26 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanna know more details about how PE works and what's the principle of
> PE when using parallel program.

Amy,
fundamentally (I may be wrong) SGE is a batch/load levelling system.
When you wish to run a parallel program, using a Parallel Environment,
SGE will allocate you a set of machines, which is passed on as the file
$PE_HOSTFILE

It is up to you, as the administrator, to determine how a particular
parallel program should be started, and stopped, on all the hosts in
$PE_HOSTFILE.

Man sge_pe tells you all the parameters for a given PE,
but the main things you need to get started are:

start_proc_args    defines how to start the job
stop_proc_args     how to kill a job

The best thing to do is to go to $SGE_ROOT/mpi  or pvm
and look at the READDME files

Make sure to put your new PE name into pe_list for one of your existing
queues, or your jobs will never run!