[GE users] Help: PE details

Amy Lee openlinuxsource at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 13:48:56 GMT 2007

John Hearns wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 21:26 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wanna know more details about how PE works and what's the principle of
>> PE when using parallel program.
>>

> Amy,
> fundamentally (I may be wrong) SGE is a batch/load levelling system.
> When you wish to run a parallel program, using a Parallel Environment,
> SGE will allocate you a set of machines, which is passed on as the file
> $PE_HOSTFILE
>
> It is up to you, as the administrator, to determine how a particular
> parallel program should be started, and stopped, on all the hosts in
> $PE_HOSTFILE.
>
> Man sge_pe tells you all the parameters for a given PE,
> but the main things you need to get started are:
>
> start_proc_args    defines how to start the job
> stop_proc_args     how to kill a job
>

> The best thing to do is to go to $SGE_ROOT/mpi  or pvm
> and look at the READDME files
>

> Make sure to put your new PE name into pe_list for one of your existing
> queues, or your jobs will never run!

Thank you very much. And I still have some problems. As you said, when I
using PE to run parallel programs, the SGE just allocate a set of
machines which I've selected, then the post-working is functions of MPI,
right? Furthermore, can I use PE to improve the parallel programs
efficiency by using SGE? If I can, how?

Thank you again.

Regards,

Amy Lee