AW: [GE users] Help: PE details

Ochtrup, Carsten carsten.ochtrup at eds.com
Thu Nov 1 14:13:24 GMT 2007

Amy,

as John said, SGE is a batch/load levelling system. It selects the hosts for you and can take care about some runtime conditions (like max CPU time, or memory)

The event chain when a job starts is:

- prolog method of the queue
- starter method of the queue
- start command from the PE, which will call the start program of your parallel implementation

- stop method of the PE
- epilog of the queue

What do you mean by "improve the parallel programs efficiency"?

As said before, the start of the underlying mpi, pvm, ... relies on you.  It will not do any optimisation for you.

Regards,
Carsten Ochtrup