[GE users] Help: How to know running time

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 1 15:42:27 GMT 2007

Hi,

Am 01.11.2007 um 14:42 schrieb Amy Lee:

> Reuti wrote:
>> Am 31.10.2007 um 11:21 schrieb Lee Amy:

>>> You might have a look at: qacct -j <jobid>
>>>
>>> and its man page.
>>>
>>> -- Reuti

>>> Thank your reply. And I use "qstat" to show the job id, then use
>>> "qacct -j 15", it says that cannot find job id 15. So what's the
>>> correct usage to "qacct -j"?
>>
>> The qacct it only updated *after* the job finished. Otherwise
>> there is an usage line in qstat -j <jobid>.
>>
>> -- Reuti

> Reuti,
>
> Thank you very much. I've got the output of "qacct -j <jobid>, and
> I will send it to you. I find two problems.
>
> 1. There are 3 time strings, qsub_time, start_time, end_time. Which
> start time and end are useful? And I find that the qsub_time is in
> Thu Jan  1 08:00:00 1970, why? I wann know running time, so I have
> to use start time to minus end time, right?
>
> 2. I find that in different nodes, the start_time and end_time are
> different. So how can I ensure the start time and end time?

For each created slave process of a tightly integrated parallel job
you will get an entry (without a valid qsub time). The last entry is
the one of the master-job, and there you will find the real qsub time
and wallclock time(s) (entry ru_wallclock, if you want to skip the
subtraction).

Normally the time of all slave processes should be in this timeframe.
As this is not the case in your output, maybe the clocks in the
machines are not synchronized.