[GE users] Defining automatic hard memory limits

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Thu Nov 1 22:57:58 GMT 2007

Reuti wrote:
> Am 01.11.2007 um 21:58 schrieb Orion Poplawski:
>
>> We have a grid of users' workstations and I'd like to protect them
>> from people submitting large memory jobs to machines that can't handle
>> them.  Each machine has a different amount of memory, so this really
>> needs to get done on a case by case basis.  Is it possible to set a
>> hard memory limit for each instance to be equal to "mem_total"?
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=12365
>
> -- Reuti

Thanks, but I don't quite get it.

I can set h_vmem manually for each machine, thereby killing any jobs
that run on those machines that consume more than that amount of memory
right?

I can also make h_vmem consumable, so that users can request the amount
of memory they need with "-l h_vmem=2G" and the jobs will only get run
on machines that have h_vmem set above that, right?

But I can't have h_vmem set automatically for each machine, say equal to
  mem_total?  Could I do it in a load sensor?

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com