[GE users] The basics of scheduling -- one job per CPU?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Nov 2 09:01:34 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 01:26 -0700, david.richter at mathstar.com wrote:
> We have inherited an SGE environment that runs, but we don?t fully
> understand it.  At times I?ve seen it running four jobs on a two-CPU
> server.  Our jobs are CPU-bound so there is no benefit to exceeding
> the number of CPUs in a given machine.
>
> There must be a simple way to configure an execution host so that it
> will never receive more jobs than it has CPUs, but I have not found
> it.  What parts of the configuration should I check?

qconf -se (hostname) ans check of slots is set

qconf -me (hostname) and edit
complex_values slots=N

where N is the number of CPUS/cores you have

You can set N to be any value you like  - you could see better
throughput in some cases with overloading. Though not in yours if you
are CPU bound of course.