[GE users] Defining automatic hard memory limits

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Nov 2 10:23:00 GMT 2007

Am 01.11.2007 um 23:57 schrieb Orion Poplawski:

> Reuti wrote:
>> Am 01.11.2007 um 21:58 schrieb Orion Poplawski:
>>> We have a grid of users' workstations and I'd like to protect
>>> them from people submitting large memory jobs to machines that
>>> can't handle them.  Each machine has a different amount of
>>> memory, so this really needs to get done on a case by case
>>> basis.  Is it possible to set a hard memory limit for each
>>> instance to be equal to "mem_total"?
>> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?
>> list=users&msgNo=12365
>> -- Reuti
>
> Thanks, but I don't quite get it.
>
> I can set h_vmem manually for each machine, thereby killing any
> jobs that run on those machines that consume more than that amount
> of memory right?

Yes, you can assign it in "qconf -me <node>" under complex_values.

> I can also make h_vmem consumable, so that users can request the
> amount of memory they need with "-l h_vmem=2G" and the jobs will
> only get run on machines that have h_vmem set above that, right?

Yes, and it will be subtratced from the set value in the exechost's
configuration. If it's a consumable, the default will always be used
if the user doesn't specify any request.

> But I can't have h_vmem set automatically for each machine, say
> equal to  mem_total?  Could I do it in a load sensor?

Not this way. A load sensor would run all the time. What you would
need is a one-time script at installation time, issuing "ssh <node>
free", grep/cut/awk the correct value, and feed it to "qconf -mattr
exechost complex_values h_vmem=<what_you_got> <node>" in a loop.

-- Reuti