[GE users] Reservation questions

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore-cfc.com
Fri Nov 2 11:31:17 GMT 2007

I have a couple of questions about reservation that I'm not too clear on - perhaps somebody can set me straight. I am only considering the case where you have a multi-threaded application that you want to use up multiple slots on the same host. If I ask for 4 slots on an 8-slot machine and make a reservation, the scheduler determines which machine will have 4 slots free first and blocks all jobs from using them right? Does it reserve particular slots on the machine or will any 4 slots which free up first be used? i.e. the reserved slots are "1-4" but slots 1,2,5,8 actually free up first. What happens if that host crashes or is rebooted before the job gets to run on it - is a new reservation automatically made? Just trying to clarify in my little head how reservation will work in a heterogeneous multithreading/single slot environment.

Thanks,

Daire