[GE users] pe_slots issues

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Fri Nov 2 15:13:55 GMT 2007

On Friday 02 November 2007 10:52, Reuti wrote:
> Am 02.11.2007 um 14:32 schrieb John Coldrick:

> So only one queue on these 8-core machines?

	I have only one queue defined, the default all.q, and every system on the
grid has an instance on it, 8 core instances included.

> >> Often advisable with parallel jobs is to request reservation with "-R
> >> y" in qsub and set a sensible value for "max_reservation" in the
> >> scheduler configuration.
> It's the number of jobs. 20 maybe good.

	Ah, OK.  Doesn't seem to affect this issue.

> In the queue definition you defined more slots for these three machines?

	Yes, each system has slots equal to the number of cpus.  If I submit the same
jobs single threaded(i.e. don't use the PE m9_1 at all), they all run on
every slot(e.g. those 8 core machines have 8 jobs running on them).  This
seems to be specifically about the PE.

	The only thing I've configured in this fresh install of 6.1u2 apart from a
few complexes to manage licenses and adding the PE  is this:

	I've changed the existing complex mem_free to be consumable.  I define each
system to have whatever specific memory they actually have and use this
system to help manage memory e.g. if a job needs 4G to run, it requests that
and SGE manages it nicely.  To ensure this isn't at the root of the problem,
I've just tested now with mem_free being non-consumable(the default), and it
still doesn't work.

	Thanks

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada
"Life is too important to take seriously."
		-- Corky Siegel