[GE users] MPICH-MX tight integration

Constantinos Evangelinos ce107 at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 2 19:00:35 GMT 2007

    [ The following text is in the "iso-8859-7" character set. ]

We have a new cluster with a Myri-10G interconnect and we're using Rocks on
it. Rocks comes with SSH enabled for qrsh/qlogin. The vendor who sold us the
cluster has been trying to get a tight integration going based on the
suggestion of modifying the MPICH-GM PE example that ships with SGE in
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=19748
as loose integration leaves us with rogue processes quite often. Unfortunately
they have not been able to get it working right. I was wondering if the
reason for that was that tight integration relies on qrsh using SGE's special
rsh/rshd and will not work with SSH unless it's a tight SSH integration. They
also tried to establish a tight SSH integration using the PAM-based approach
described in the recent SGE workshop
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/download/workshop10-12_09_07/SGE-WS2007-SGEAndGridAtDESY_DESY_AndreasHaupt.pdf
with code at:
http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~ahaupt/downloads/sge-sshd-control-1.2-1.src.rpm
but claimed it did not solve the problem. I'm afraid that they did not
establish that right though as it seems they only installed the rpm on the
head node!

Anyway, two basic questions:
a) Does anyone have a working PE configuration for a tight MPICH-MX
integration they can share?
b) Does a tight integration depend on:
i)  Using SGE's rsh/rshd
or
ii) Using a tight SSH integration

Thanks for any help,

Constantinos
--
Dr. Constantinos Evangelinos                    Room 54-1518, EAPS/MIT
Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences       77 Massachusetts Avenue