[GE users] queue instance grouping

Constantinos Evangelinos ce107 at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 2 19:01:03 GMT 2007

    [ The following text is in the "iso-8859-7" character set. ]

Our SGE controlled cluster has 4 groups of 32 nodes that each belong to the
same communication class, that is, they all connect to the same linecard on a
Myrinet switch and have the same latency and less chances of communication
patterns resulting in a hotspot.

We currently have one large queue for all 128 nodes but we'd like to have a
way for SGE to try and first assign queue instances in the same 32-node group
to a job before straddling node groups.

That is if we have the following list of jobs

32-node
12-node
 4-node
20-node
60-node

it would result in a split of this form
A       B       C       D
32-n    12-n    32/60-n 28/60-n
	20-n            4-n
instead (for example) of
A       B       C       D
32-n    12-n	4/20-n  --
	4-n     28/60-n 32/60-n
        16/20-n

Anyone has an idea of how we could get SGE to provide us with such a
behaviour?

Thanks for any help,

Constantinos
--
Dr. Constantinos Evangelinos                    Room 54-1518, EAPS/MIT
Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences       77 Massachusetts Avenue