[GE users] queue instance grouping

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sat Nov 3 22:07:54 GMT 2007

Hi,

Am 02.11.2007 um 20:01 schrieb Constantinos Evangelinos:

> Our SGE controlled cluster has 4 groups of 32 nodes that each
> belong to the
> same communication class, that is, they all connect to the same
> linecard on a
> Myrinet switch and have the same latency and less chances of
> communication
> patterns resulting in a hotspot.
>
> We currently have one large queue for all 128 nodes but we'd like
> to have a
> way for SGE to try and first assign queue instances in the same 32-
> node group
> to a job before straddling node groups.
>
> That is if we have the following list of jobs
>
> 32-node
> 12-node
>  4-node
> 20-node
> 60-node

this might help for jobs with up to 32 nodes:

http://gridengine.info/articles/2006/02/14/grouping-jobs-to-nodes-via-
wildcard-pes

Whether you get for larger jobs two or three groups will make no
difference I think. So you would need 4 PEs for the up to 32-nodes
jobs, and one for the larger ones.

Of course: with these settings a 32-nodes jobs might refuse to run,
because it can't get all nodes from one group of nodes.

-- Reuti