[GE users] job context and array tasks

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Tue Nov 6 11:14:13 GMT 2007

Mark,

it's actually the first time I hear such a request (but the might be because
the context variables seem to be one of the more hidden features in SGE:-)

I agree your request makes sense but it would require a coule of changes:

   - store the context per task and not per job and change the internal
     handling in qmaster and execd accordingly

   - have a handy syntax enhancement to set context variables for tasks and
     ranges of tasks or all tasks, e.g.

     qsub/qalter -Xc [flexible_range_specifier=]variable=value

     where "flexible_range_specifier" at least should be the current
     "task_id_range" (from the qsub syntax), but probably even a bit more
     like support for adressing individual tasks:

         2,3,6-12:2,18,100:4=restart=FALSE

     would set for (existing) tasks 2,3,4,6,8,10,12,16,20,24,.... the context variable
     "restart" to FALSE.

Regarding your question if there's are normal or tricky approch available
today other than your use case, I'm not aware of any.

Andy

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Olesen, Mark wrote:

> I have been using the job context to maintain job state information (eg,
> restart, domain decomposition, etc). When I move to array tasks, I naturally
> only have this information per job rather than per task.
>
> One workaround would be to add something like this
>
>    qsub -sc restart.1=TRUE,restart.2=FALSE,...
>
> with extra task-specific variable names, but that seems a bit clunky.
>
> Has anyone come up with another means (normal or tricky) of having something
> like a task context rather than a job context (qsub -ac, -dc, -sc)?
>
> /mark
> This e-mail message and any attachments may contain
> legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information,
> or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON
> Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice
> serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined
> in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender
> and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
> or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this
> message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
> notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying
> of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this message in error, please
> immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail
> message from your computer.

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]