[GE users] job context and array tasks

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Tue Nov 6 12:05:51 GMT 2007

Hi Andy,

>    - have a handy syntax enhancement to set context variables for
> tasks and
>      ranges of tasks or all tasks, e.g.
>
>      qsub/qalter -Xc [flexible_range_specifier=]variable=value
>
>      where "flexible_range_specifier" at least should be the current
>      "task_id_range" (from the qsub syntax), but probably even a bit
> more
>      like support for adressing individual tasks:
>
>          2,3,6-12:2,18,100:4=restart=FALSE

A more flexible range specification would be also really useful for parallel
environments. For some calculations we need specialized domain
decomposition. We might, for example, decompose the domain into 12, 8, 6, 4
subdomains.  In which case one can't simply specify "-pe foo 4-12" and hope
for the best, but a finer grained control is needed:
  Eg, "-pe foo 4,6,8,12".

Of course, this only makes sense when we can simultaneously specify masterq
resources too.

/mark
serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined
message from your computer.