[GE users] job context and array tasks

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Tue Nov 6 14:23:12 GMT 2007

well, I'd see it slightly differently: certainly our main goal was to
minimize the memory overhead in qmaster and scheduler. Therefore most array
job task settings cannot be set individually for the array tasks. From the
other side supporting per task context variables would only insignificantly
increase memory overhead in qmaster if a user would stick with the default
and just use shared context variables - someone who really needs it now
needs to set up to N different context variables and also needs additional
memory. The scheduler (thread) anyhow would not need this data.

Currently the 'interface' for using and accessing context variables is
rather rude. I think the LSF pendant might be doing a better job in this
respect. May be if we get more requests in this area (frankly there isn't
too much yet) we or users from the community might do some development and
improvements and this might result in better support for array job context
variables as well.

Andy

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Olesen, Mark wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
>> I agree having no per task context is somewhat clunky. Nevertheless
>> I would argue against introducing one.
>
> I fully agree on this point. The advantages of "bundling" tasks and
> information would be lost.
>
> /mark
> This e-mail message and any attachments may contain
> legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information,
> or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON
> Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice
> serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined
> in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender
> and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
> or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this
> message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby
> notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying
> of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.
> If you have received this message in error, please
> immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail
> message from your computer.

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]