[GE users] Shadow master with Berkely DB spooling on 6.0?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Nov 7 22:45:41 GMT 2007

I have a bit of an obscure corner case...
any insight or replies welcome please.

I am setting up a cluster with:

Two login/master nodes, the intention being to set the second one up as
a shadow master

The SGE_ROOT is on a separate NFS server, which is running NFSv4

The problem I am having at the moment is that the cluster is running
with a configuration with Berkely DB spooling.
SGE 6.0 version (yes - I know the)

It wouldn't be too much work for me to re-install with classic spooling
(we script installs quite heavily, so its no big deal).

However, noticing this email from Rayson:

http://www.bioinformatics.org/pipermail/bioclusters/2004-September/001994.html

Can anyone confirm if a combination of:

SGE 6.0uX , BerkelyDB spooling to disk (not separate server),  SGE_ROOT
on a separate NFSv4 server will work?

The documentation seems to say not:
"1) Local spooling:
The Berkeley DB spools into a local directory on this host (qmaster host)
This setup is faster, but you can't setup a shadow master host"

It would be nice (Rayson, please?) to have some sort of explanation why NFSv4
will 'work' for this, yet a lower version wouldn't.