[GE users] Hostname checking

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore-cfc.com
Thu Nov 8 15:10:51 GMT 2007

Is there way to turn off Gridengine's hostname checking? We use dynamic DHCP for all our desktops and sometimes a host will be retired and so the DNS entry will automatically be removed after the lease times out. When we then try to modify a hostlist (e.g. to add some new hosts) it will complain that the "retired" hosts don't exist (no DNS entries). It is very annoying to have to remove the non-existent hostnames. Is there any hidden control over Gridengine's hostname resolution? I believe you can toggle on/off FQDN resolution at installation time - is that it?

I can't see how it is harmful to have non-existent hostnames in the hostlists. If there is no easy way to do this then I'm thinking we'll have to write a daemon to keep track of all currently active desktop machines and update the hostlists dynamically every 5 mins or so.

Any help/thoughts appreciated.

Daire