[GE users] Hostname checking

Thu Nov 8 16:10:41 GMT 2007

Daire,

There is a super-secret hidden feature that might help you.  It's never
been tested as a tool in production, though, so be warned.

First, let me say that the usual advice in your situation is to
temporarily add the host to the master's /etc/hosts file, do what you
need to do, then remove the host.  Assuming that's not an option, there
is a magic environment variable called SGE_COMMLIB_DEBUG_RESOLVE.  If
you set it to a list of host names, those hosts will always be
considered resolvable by the comm lib.  The danger is that the comm lib
gets an empty data structure back for those hosts' contact information.
For just removing a host from a hostgroup, that *shouldn't* pose a
problem, but no guarantees.  The worst that could happen is that the
qmaster could segfault.

Daniel