[GE users] Hostname checking

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore-cfc.com
Thu Nov 8 16:24:51 GMT 2007

Daniel,

Thanks for the response. Neither suggestion sounds particularly practical. Basically Gridengine doesn't support dynamic DNS environments very well atm. We have 600+ desktop machines which drop in and out of DNS all the time. So if a machine in the hostlist is just turned off for a week and I try and edit the hostlist I need to find that machine and remove it first before I can add any more machines. A real pain when you have 600+ machines where any 10-20 can be unresolvable at any time.

Do you think it'd be possible to use the host_aliases file? Could we have sys[1-999].dhcp.local as DYN-DNS hostnames and map them to static DNS entries like sys[1-999].static.local? The static hostnames would never be in use but at least they would always be resolvable.... Not sure that the host_aliases file is considered for qconf settings though. If it does would SGE use the IP of the dhcp.local hostname if it resolves but if not use the static.local IP?

Cheers,

Daire