[GE users] Hostname checking

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Nov 8 17:18:17 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 16:24 +0000, Daire Byrne wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> Thanks for the response. Neither suggestion sounds particularly practical. Basically Gridengine doesn't support dynamic DNS environments very well atm. We have 600+ desktop machines which drop in and out of DNS all the time. So if a machine in the hostlist is just turned off for a week and I try and edit the hostlist I need to find that machine and remove it first before I can add any more machines. A real pain when you have 600+ machines where any 10-20 can be unresolvable at any time.

Daire, there's something I don't understand here.
Why don't you just leave the 600 odd entries IN the DNS? Why remove
them?
e.g. you could have a pool of addresses,
desktop000  to desktop600
I guess I'm reading you wrong, and you do have a big pool of hostnames,
but as machines change names you are adding them/removing them from
queues or hostgroups.
Why not do what we do to build clusters - assign a hostname to each MAC
address, and have a fixed name for that machine, but the machine itself
just gets a (fixed) DHCP lease.
You're going to tell me that machines are moved across Oxford Street and
put on other subnets of course.

By the way, is this DNS infrastructure still running on the set of black
1U machines that Neil Harris (and me!) configured a good few years ago?