[GE users] modifying CPU time on running jobs.

Thu Nov 8 19:39:28 GMT 2007

If both the queue (h_cpu       24:0:0) and the job (-l h_cpu=24:0:0)
specify a CPU time limit, the stricter limit wins.  That means you
cannot qalter a job's limit above what is imposed by the queue.  If you
want a grace period for jobs with an h_cpu limit, try using a lower
s_cpu limit in addition.  With s_cpu, the job gets a SIGXCPU when the
limit is met.  The job can catch the SIGXCPU and try to exit gracefully
before the SIGKILL from the h_cpu limit comes.

Note that there is a race condition between Grid Engine and the OS on
h_cpu limits.  The OS will try to send a SIGXCPU, while Grid Engine
tries to send a SIGKILL.  In my experience, the SIGXCPU usually get to
the job first.

Daniel