[GE users] io usage always zero on Linux?

jallen at it.uts.edu.au jallen at it.uts.edu.au
Mon Nov 12 02:20:09 GMT 2007

I am interested in having the job I/O usage value reported to ARCo so we
can use it in accounting, but so far I have only ever seen zero entered
for this value (both in ARCo and using command line tools), e.g.:

% > qstat -ext -j 164

usage 1:  cpu=00:00:15, mem=3.94332 GBs, io=0.00000, vmem=2.906G,
maxvmem=3.909G

It looks like mem and cpu get some usage values reported, but never I/O.
Does anybody know what the "io" actually reports and if it is supposed to
work under Linux? (in daemons/common/pdc.c looks something like "active
process I/O usage to job" but I don't really know if I am even looking in
the right place).

Is there another way to report a value for the USAGE_ATTR_IO element such
as with a load sensor, or would I have to modify the GE source (pdc or
something else?) a bit to get it to work?  Maybe it would be better to
report I/O in another way, such as per host with a reported load value,
and try to report the value to ARCo as a reporting parameter?

Any info at all on this would be really handy.

Thanks,

 -- JA