[GE users] io usage always zero on Linux?

Michael van Elst mlelstv at serpens.de
Mon Nov 12 06:22:17 GMT 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 01:20:09PM +1100, jallen at it.uts.edu.au wrote:

> It looks like mem and cpu get some usage values reported, but never I/O.
> Does anybody know what the "io" actually reports and if it is supposed to
> work under Linux?

This is the resource usage as reported by the kernel. For Linux, see
"man 2 getrusage":

  The  above  struct  was  taken  from  4.3BSD  Reno.  Not all fields
  are meaningful under Linux.  In linux 2.4 only the fields ru_utime,
  ru_stime, ru_minflt, and ru_majflt are maintained.  Since Linux
  2.6, ru_nvcsw and ru_nivcsw are also maintained.

If nothing changed recently then Linux doesn't maintain a per-process
usage value for I/O operations.

You can get the total number and size of I/O operations for the system
(using things like sar). If you have only one job slot per machine this
might be sufficient as a metric.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst