[GE users] Default Architecture .. and How to OverRide It ..

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Nov 12 14:25:29 GMT 2007

Hi,

Am 12.11.2007 um 04:38 schrieb Graham Jenkins:

> We're currently running a cluster of lx-24-amd64 execute nodes.
> We've placed these in three
> separate queues according to allowed max-walltime and memory-size,
> and we've instructed users to
> submit their jobs with a resource-requirement specification rather
> than a queue-name so that
> (for instance) large-memory slots can be used if there are no
> default-memory slots available.

great! Even with this configuration you can still have one queue:

h_rt 3600,[@long_ones=86400],[@ultra_ones=2592000]

if you have appropriate hostgroups.

> But now it seems that (to satisfy some commercial considerations)
> we'll be installing some
> Solaris nodes.
>
> So the question is .. how can we decree that a job will go to lx-24-
> amd64 slot(s) unless a user
> requests otherwise?

You can put this in a default request in $SGE_ROOT/default/common/
sge_request like

-l arch=lx24-amd64

The user can still request -l arch=sol-amd64 and replace this
request. To remove it completely you would need -clear in qsub.

One step more would be to have a shared directory with a similar
structure for each architecture. This could look like:

/opt/chemsoft/lx24-amd64/g03/...
/opt/chemsoft/lx24-x86/g03/...
/opt/chemsoft/sol-amd64/g03/..

and to run "/opt/chemsoft/$ARC/g03/g03" in the jobscript - you always
get the correct binaries in case you don't care where it runs after
using -clear.