[GE users] io usage always zero on Linux?

Michael van Elst mlelstv at serpens.de
Mon Nov 12 19:47:27 GMT 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 03:54:01PM +0100, Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM wrote:

> >You can get the total number and size of I/O operations for the system
> >(using things like sar). If you have only one job slot per machine this
> >might be sufficient as a metric.
>
> You mean context number of switches could be suited for measuring I/O
> operations? Wouldn't ru_inblock/ru_oublock be better suited, if these
> numbers were multiplied with the size of a block?

Linux doesn't provide ru_inblock/ru_outblock, you always get zero.

The sar tool (sysstat package) or even iostat can provide the
total number of I/Os (or kilobytes) per second for a server.
If you only run a single job per server then all I/O is generated
by that single job and you can generate accounting data for it,
e.g. by a load sensor.

If you run multiple jobs in parallel it becomes difficult :)
Still you could combine a single I/O bound job with jobs that
do little I/O.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst