[GE users] querying state of consumables

Johnny Layne laynejg at vcu.edu
Thu Nov 15 00:53:39 GMT 2007

hye,
     I don't know if this is any help, but it's a Ruby script I wrote to
check out resource values while I was working on something else.  If it
can be of any use to anyone, feel free to try it & adapt it.  I make no
quarantees whatsoever of it's useability, and offer no maintenance, but
will say it works OK for me.  You'll have to change the instances of
YOUR_CLUSTER to whatever the name of your cluster is.  For instance, if
your queue instances show up as things like  all.q at sakura5 then sakura
is the name of your cluster.  Of course you'll have to have Ruby as
well, should be pretty easy to port to Perl though.  It's a quick hack,
so there will be nodes repeated in output & they're not in sorted order.

     So to see the h_vmem on all nodes,
$./get_rsrc_val.rb h_vmem

    To see h_vmem for a particular node:
$./get_rsrc_val.rb h_vmem sakura20
and so on.
     johnny

Ross Dickson wrote:
> We have h_vmem configured as consumable on our clusters:
>
> > qconf -sc | grep h_vmem
> h_vmem              h_vmem     MEMORY      <=    YES
> YES        2G       0
> > qconf -se cl002 | grep h_vmem
> complex_values        h_vmem=15G
>
> ...and so on.  We often get users complaining that their jobs are not
> being scheduled for unknown reasons, and we often track it down to
> insufficient h_vmem.  But the tracking-down is tedious because I don't
> know of a quick way to determine how much vmem is already reserved on
> a given host by the running and suspended jobs.
>
> Is there a command that shows me what the current amount of a
> consumable is consumed on a given node?  Or do I have to write a
> script that qstats for what jobs are running or suspended, which nodes
> they're on and how many slots, how much h_vmem each one has asked for
> (or defaulted to), and add it all up?

    [ Part 2, Application/X-RUBY (Name: "get_rsrc_val.rb") 6.4 KB. ]
    [ Unable to print this part. ]

    [ Part 3: "Attached Text" ]