[GE users] Help: Priority Problem

Amy Lee openlinuxsource at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:09:10 GMT 2007

Ravi Chandra Nallan wrote:
> The priority(ppri as in qstat -pri) is what is defined by you (qsub -p
> option) and the npprior (the N Priority) is a normalized priority (of
> ppri). The actual priority of a job (prior) is calculated as a
> combination of weights of urgency,pri,tkts, as defined in the sched conf.
> To let sge dynamically change priorities (adjusting them) use the
> repriortize_interval (sched_conf).
> Refer sge_priority(5) for more info,
>
> regards,
> ~Ravi
>
> Amy Lee wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have some problems about the process priority in SGE.
>>
>> 1. When I use QMON to observe the job status, I find two priority
>> fields. One is "Priority", another is "N Priority". What's the
>> difference between them? And if I adjust a job priority, the first
>> field is permanent, the last field the changed.
>>
>> 2. I know SGE can adjust the process priority dynamically. I submit
>> many jobs in the queue and set some different priority values,
>> however, during running time, their priorities are not changed any
>> more. I don't know how to accomplish it.
>>
>> Thank you very much~
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Amy Lee

Thank you for your reply. And I still have some questions. From the
manual, I think that I have to set up tickets for the jobs. However, my
cluster just has 4 nodes and 1 master node. So I wanna know whether I
can avoid use "ticket" method but just adjust
reprioritize_interval value.

Furthermore, could you tell me some ways to improve the performance when
I submit many jobs by SGE? Can I improve performance when I use tight
integration PE?

Thank you very much~

Regards,

Amy Lee