[GE users] Memory leak in 6.1u2 ?

Richard Ems Richard.Ems at cape-horn-eng.com
Thu Nov 15 15:01:40 GMT 2007

Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Richard Ems wrote:
>
>> Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM wrote:
>>
>>> First step is to patch the source code and built the binaries.
>>> You using lx24-amd64 right now?
>>
>> Yes!
>
> you find your schedd binary under
>
>    http://gridengine.sunsource.net/files/documents/7/160/sge_schedd.gz
>
> the scheduler is identical with 6.1u2 for lx24-amd64 except for the
> patch below. What the patch does for you is (a) enable allocation
> recording at scheduler start-up time (b) disable it at shut-down time.
> Make sure MALLOC_TRACE is set in schedd's environment as described in
> mtrace(3), since otherwise no recording will happen.
>
> My recommendation is to shut-down schedd once you observe memory
> leaking. That way mtrace(3) will report almost only real leaks when it
> does the memory balance.

Ok, thanks.
I tried it, but the error is not triggering anymore. Since I tried a
couple of times enabling just single queues, the jobs got started and
with less jobs waiting the error seems not to happen.

The mtrace log file was getting very big, I stopped SGE and it was at
over 700MB, after just some minutes. Is this normal? What do you want me
to do when the error triggers again and I get a 700 MB file? Send i to
you? 8)

Thanks, Richard

--
Richard Ems       mail: Richard.Ems at Cape-Horn-Eng.com

Cape Horn Engineering S.L.
C/ Dr. J.J. Dómine 1, 5? piso
46011 Valencia
Tel : +34 96 3242923 / Fax 924