[GE users] Starting qlicserver as a daemon

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Mon Nov 19 11:22:49 GMT 2007

Hi Richard,

> I'm trying to start qlicserver as a daemon, and this works on the
> console, but as soon as I start it from an init script it dies after
> one run.

This is a feature and not a bug. The qlicserver cannot (should not) be run
as a daemon on its own. If a qmaster goes down in a controlled or
uncontrolled manner, we don't want the qlicserver to query it, or bombard it
with potentially incorrect qconf commands. Failover considerations also
speak against invoking it as a daemon. How does the original qmaster know to
shutdown the qlicserver when a shadow master takes over?

The only slightly recommended way to use qlicerver as a daemon is to start
it at the beginning of a load sensor script running on the qmaster.
The qlicserver daemon mode actually watches its parent process and will kill
itself off when the parent is gone. This seems to be a reasonable means of
tying the qlicserver and the qmaster somewhat together. I suppose it'd also
be possible to get the sge_qmaster pid and monitor that instead, but nobody
has seemed to care thus far.

MY preferred means is to run qlicerver from within a load sensor script. The
cached output values are incredibly useful to diagnose what's happening (the
qlic auxiliary program) and the failover issues are taken care of by
GridEngine itself.

/mark
serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined
message from your computer.