[GE users] Questions on SSH tight integration + Rocks OS 4.3

VS Ang vs_ang at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 15:36:23 GMT 2007

Hello,

I am trying to configure SSH tight integration with SGE so that parallel jobs based on MPICH are cleaned up properly after job completion (or upon qdel). I am running into issues with this and have a few questions. FYI, I am using Rocks OS 4.3 (kernel 2.6.9-55.0.2.ELsmp) on x86_64 machines.

1) The version of SGE that's part of Rocks OS 4.3 is 6.0u8. From the release notes of version 6.0u7, there is support for the "ENABLE_ADDGRP_KILL" parameter, which supposedly allows cleaning up of processes belonging to a job based on their "supplementary group IDs".

First, it's not clear to me what supplementary group IDs are. Also, the release notes refer to the gid_range parameter for  the execd "local" configuration on each node. Are these group ID ranges supposed to be non-overlapping on each node?

Also, when I try to edit the execd configuration on the node using qconf, I am getting the following errors. Does it mean the gid_range parameter is not supported in this version (even though this is 6.0u8)?

[root at test ~]# qconf -me compute-0-0.local
error: unknown attribute name "gid_range"
error: invalid option argument "compute-0-0.local"
Usage: qconf -help

2) I also tried to upgrade the version to 6.1u2. Since the tight integration support is not present in the pre-compiled binaries, I tried to build it from sources. Are there any specific OS or compiler version dependencies to compile the code? I thought the only requirement was kernel 2.6 or higher. But, it looks like there are other incompatibilities. I have tried with OpenSSH 4.7 as well as OpenSSH 3.9, but not much luck.

I have attached the output from the following command:

>./aimk -gcc -no-java -no-jni -no-qtcsh -spool-classic -tight-ssh

I would appreciate it if someone can point me to the "right" documentation on implementing the SSH tight integration and tell me the requirements for building the code with tight integration support.

Thank you,
Srihari

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]