[GE users] Help: Tickets Problem

Wed Nov 21 14:49:20 GMT 2007

Hi Amy,

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, openlinuxsource wrote:

> Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, openlinuxsource wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I hope SGE can adjust process priority dynamically, so I should make
>>> different tickets for different jobs. But how to do it? What should I do
>>> in this step in order to add tickets?
>>
>> You must enable dynamic job reprioritization by specifying a non-zero
>> reprioritize_interval in sched_conf(5). Assigning tickets on a job can then
>> be done with functional/share tree policy. Controlling job tickes manually
>> can be done with
>>
>>    qalter -ot <ticket_amount> <jobid>
>>
>> the more tickets a job gets, the higher it's runtime priority.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andreas
>>
> Thank you again. However, could you tell me what's the difference between
> share tree policy and functional tree policy?

in

    http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=22238

you wrote you wonder whether job reprioritization could be useful for
you. Short answer is that job reprioritization brings no benefit as
long as you do not oversubscribe your compute nodes. Reason is that
runtime priorites play a role only if there are more runnable processes
than CPUs. In this special case runtime priorities can be used to instruct
the operating system scheduler which job/processes should be prefered.

However there is an alternative means to achieve the very same: By means
of the 'priority' in queue_conf(5) you can already control on a per queue
base. Though the queue_conf(5) priority is static, but I consider this
rather a benefit than a downside as it is easier to comprehend and to apply
than dynamic priorities.

Regards,
Andreas