[GE users] Another qsh strange problem

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Nov 22 18:43:36 GMT 2007

Am 22.11.2007 um 19:16 schrieb Jerome:

> i've a strannge problem with qsh intercative jobs.
> As usual user in my cluster, i'm doing this command:
>
> [jerome at cluster ~]$ qsh
> Your job 227092 ("INTERACTIVE") has been submitted
> waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...
> Your interactive job 227092 has been successfully scheduled.
>
> But there is no xterm window appearing on my own screen at all.
> When i check out the "messages" log file on the master , i can see
> this log:
>
> 11/22/2007 11:43:55|qmaster|cluster|I|job 227092.1 finished on host
> compute-1-6.local
>
> And when i check out the "messages" files on the node compute-1-6,
> i can't see anything about this jobs.
>
> I thought that the problem was about the forward of the X server
> via ssh. But, when i conect on the compute-1-6, as "ssh compute-1-6
> -X", I can run an xterm without any problem.

it will not work this way, when you setup SGE to use ssh. One option
you have is:

qrsh xterm

with an included -Y to /usr/bin/ssh inSGE's config (or a proper
~/.ssh/config (or /etc/ssh/ssh_config) with this already included
there).

A plain qsh will just start a xterm on a node - nothing more, hence
it would use port 6000+. No ssh and/or tunnel is ever set up by SGE
in this case.

-- Reuti