[GE users] pthread job killed by SGE

Alois Dirnaichner Alois.Dirnaichner at physik.lmu.de
Mon Nov 26 12:09:53 GMT 2007

Hello,

one of our scientists wrote a program with a single worker-pthread
(started from the main thread) to do his calculations (he wants to scale
it for multiprocessors later).
If he submits using qsub job.ini.sge, the binary is started but the
memory for the worker-pthread cannot be allocated. (error 12)
job.ini.sge:

#$ -l h_vmem=1G
#$ -l s_rt=6:0:0
./job.ini

Our grid (sge 6.1) runs with two forced flags, s_rt and h_vmem, h_vmem
is set on each exechost to RAM-500MB.
SGE regards the job as completed, and no error is reported neither a
limit seems to be exceeded.

If he uses qsub -l h_vmem=1G,s_rt=6:0:0 job.ini
he gets

Unable to run job: Script length does not match declared length.
Exiting

What is happening? And how can I enable jobs like this?
Thanks in advance,

Alois Dirnaichner
Computing Maintenance Group, ASC