[GE users] scheduling strategy

Jan Sundermeyer jan.sundermeyer at iis.fraunhofer.de
Tue Nov 27 15:28:15 GMT 2007

Hello,

we have installed sge 6.1 with a standard strategy, which means:

There is a high/normal/low-priority queue.
Lower priority queues are suspended when the higher priorities load the
machines completely. It does not work perfectly as the use of
subordinates only suspends complete queues but it should be okay.

My problem now is that actually i would like to have a different set-up
which does not need priority queues.
The target would be fair utilization of the machines.

For example: 2 users start a number of jobs
every users should get the same number of concurrently running jobs.

If they start their jobs the same time, fine.
But if one starts it before the other, the queues are full and the next
user has to wait until the jobs are finished.

I would prefer if sge makes room for the new jobs by suspending jobs
from the first user, so that a fair share is reached as soon as possible.
This way any user could start as many jobs as he likes and limitations
come up only if other users need resources as well.

One way of doing this might be the use of checkpoint after time periods,
which with our simulator (spectre) leads pratically to reschedule of the
jobs. However it takes some time for simulator to recover to the last
state. Therefore it would be preferable to do checkpointing only when it
is necessary.

Other possibilities I am not aware of ?

Any comments ?

 Jan

Jan Sundermeyer

Fraunhofer-Institut für Integrierte Schaltungen
Projektgruppe Optische Kommunikationstechnik
Am Wolfsmantel 33
D-91058 Erlangen
Germany

phone (49) 9131/776-9214     Fax.: -499     e-mail:
Jan.Sundermeyer at iis.fraunhofer.de

Signierungszertifikat: http://pki.fraunhofer.de

http://www.iis.fhg.de/asic