[GE users] how to set load threshold

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Nov 27 16:59:13 GMT 2007

Am 27.11.2007 um 15:57 schrieb Jan Sundermeyer:

> Hello,
>
> i want to avoid overloading on the machines and still want to run 1
> job
> per cpu.
> However the machines get overloaded when programs which are not
> copntrolled by SGE are running.
> Then the suspend threshold kicks in which leads to oscillation of one
> job running and being suspended.
>
> What value do i have to use (load threshold/load adjustment) that on a
> machine with a load of 1 only 3 more jobs are started (4 cpus) ?

the default of np_load_avg=1.75 is of course a little bit too high
for this, I suggest to try it with just 1 on a 4 core machine. As
also processes in state D count as running, this might kick in too
early only because of some disk I/O.

Before setting it up this way, I would go for the other direction:
create also interactive slots on each machine and tell the users to
use them. Hence also these sessions are under control of SGE.

-- Reuti