[GE users] Reg: Interactive jobs on windows execution host

Harald Pollinger Harald.Pollinger at Sun.COM
Fri Nov 30 12:47:00 GMT 2007

manju a wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1) Is it possible to submit a batch script to windows execution host
> in which it will invoke the number of  Gui window??

Sorry, I don't understand this question. You want to submit a Windows
batch script (a .bat file) to the Windows execution host. What exactly
shall this batch script do?

> 2) is it possible GUI window output should reflect to user one who
> submitting the job or it should run where that session exists??

A Windows GUI window can only be opened on the screen of the execution
host. There is no GUI redirection like in Unix' X Window system.

Let me explain why this "show GUI" option was built in SGE:
It doesn't make sense to submit interactive Windows GUI applications to
SGE, so normally it wouldn't be neccessary to provide a way to let a
Windows application show it's GUI. However, there are Windows
applications that either run as an interactive GUI application or in an
automated mode, depending on the command line switches. In the automated
mode they just read input files, do their work, write output files an
quit. While they are working, they show in their GUI what they are
currently doing. They still need to open their GUI and would fail if it
wouldn't be possible to open the GUI.
That's why I had to write the "SGE Helper Service" that allows
applications that were started by the background execution daemon to
connect to the (foreground) screen. Opening a GUI in the background is
not possible on Windows.

You could redirect the whole screen of the execution host to the user,
using Windows' Remote Desktop or (IMHO better) a VNC server on the
execution host. But this is completely independent of SGE.

> please let me know if its possible how we can set the display n options in qsub.

With SGE 6.1 (and higher), if the execd is installed correctly, just
request the resource "display_win_gui=1" when submitting the job:
# qsub -l display_win_gui=1 -b yes -shell no /dev/fs/C/...../app.exe

Regards,
Harald

http://www.sun.com/gridware
mailto:harald.pollinger at sun.com