[GE users] Subordinate queues

Mark Mackey mark at cresset-bmd.com
Mon Sep 3 11:14:02 BST 2007

Hi all.

I've got a small cluster set up with two types of nodes in it. There's a
queue 'all.q' with two slots on each node, and also a queue 'typeA.q'
which has two slots on each of the type A nodes. The problem with this
is that if jobs are submitted to both queues then I end up with 4 jobs
running on the typeA nodes, which I don't want. I would like the 'typeA'
queue to get priority on the type A nodes, so that if anything is
submitted to 'typeA.q' the scheduler would hold off running anything
from 'all.q' on those nodes (but keep submitting 'all.q' jobs to the
type B nodes).

How do I do this? I've wandered around the documentation for subordinate
queues, but my understanding is that that mechanism would result in
already-running jobs on the typeA nodes from the 'all.q' queue would be
suspended, and I don't want that. I want new jobs not to be scheduled on
those nodes from 'all.q', but not already-running jobs to be suspended.

All suggestions welcome.

--
Dr Mark Mackey
Cresset BioMolecular Discovery