[GE users] Subordinate queues

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Sep 3 12:37:28 BST 2007

Hi,

Am 03.09.2007 um 12:14 schrieb Mark Mackey:

> I've got a small cluster set up with two types of nodes in it.
> There's a queue 'all.q' with two slots on each node, and also a
> queue 'typeA.q' which has two slots on each of the type A nodes.
> The problem with this is that if jobs are submitted to both queues
> then I end up with 4 jobs running on the typeA nodes, which I don't
> want. I would like the 'typeA' queue to get priority on the type A
> nodes, so that if anything is submitted to 'typeA.q' the scheduler
> would hold off running anything from 'all.q' on those nodes (but
> keep submitting 'all.q' jobs to the type B nodes).
>
> How do I do this? I've wandered around the documentation for
> subordinate queues, but my understanding is that that mechanism
> would result in already-running jobs on the typeA nodes from the
> 'all.q' queue would be suspended, and I don't want that. I want new
> jobs not to be scheduled on those nodes from 'all.q', but not
> already-running jobs to be suspended.

this is correct.

But you can define "complex_values slots=2" in each exechost's
definition. As an add-on: give the typeA nodes a higher sequence
number in all.q and change the "queue_sort_method seqno" in the
scheduler configuratrion. Hence the typeA nodes will be used last for
jobs in all.q.

-- Reuti