[GE users] Rogue MPI processes even with tight integration

Chris Rudge chris.rudge at astro.le.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 14:07:20 BST 2007

Reuti,

This doesn't really make sense. It's not obvious why using
mpi/startmpi.sh should behave any differently to
mpi/myrinet/startmpi.sh. Even the sge_mpirun script is only a useful
wrapper to save the user specifying the number of cpus and machinefile
in their scripts.

I wonder whether the cause of this problem is actually hidden in
mpi/README. In the section about mpich.template (which is similar to
myrinet) it states

   - resource limits are enforced also for tasks at slave hosts
and
   - can't trigger job finish if application finishes partially

Is it possible that SGE notices a process on a slave host exceed the
walltime limit first and kills this process?? This would be a situation
where the application finishes partially and SGE can't deal with this
properly.

Regards,
Chris

--
Dr Chris Rudge
chris.rudge at astro.le.ac.uk

UKAFF Facility Manager & Dept. Research Computing Manager
Dept of Physics & Astronomy
University of Leicester
LE1 7RH

web.  www.ukaff.ac.uk