[GE users] users...

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Mon Sep 10 16:51:27 BST 2007

You need to look at the OS documentation on LDAP authentication, not the
SGE documentation. When you are using LDAP for users and groups the
system will use the name service switch configuration
(/etc/nsswitch.conf) to lookup this info from various sources, like file
(/etc/passwd), NIS, LDAP, etc. This is provided that you have accounts
in these external repositories and configured the client systems to use
them.

I good resource for setting up LDAP Gary Tay's Centralized LDAP howto's,
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~garyttt/.

Alexandre Racine wrote:
> Hi John, Thanks for your reply,
>
> But does your nodes have all usernames in the /etc/passwd file?
> Searching for "LDAP" in the SGE documentation does not gives any
> results (except for Windows host auth.).
>
> Thanks.
>

> -----Original Message----- From: John Leidel
> [mailto:john.leidel at gmail.com] Sent: Mon 2007-09-10 11:10 To:
> users at gridengine.sunsource.net Subject: RE: [GE users] users...
>
> SGE does in fact understand LDAP. I've seen it in production with
> most of the 'big' standard authentication mechanisms
> [LDAP/NIS/Kerberos/local/etc].  They key here is consistency of
> UID/GID mappings. [I'm running SGE using LDAP with no problems]
>
> cheers john
>
> On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 10:44 -0400, Alexandre Racine wrote:
>> Does SGE only use the /etc/passwd file to identify usernames? Would
>> that assumption is correct? For example let's say that user are
>> log-in with LDAP, and that their are not in the /etc/passwd file,
>> SGE would not work correctly?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> -----Original Message----- From: Daniel Templeton
>> [mailto:Dan.Templeton at Sun.COM] Sent: Fri 2007-09-07 15:11 To:
>> users at gridengine.sunsource.net Subject: Re: [GE users] users...
>>
>> Passwordless login is not needed for Grid Engine.  The reason for
>> the same-id requirement is that jobs are executed as the user that
>> submitted them.  If the usernames don't match up, the job will end
>> up being owned and executed as someone else (or fail to execute
>> because the user is unknown).
>>
>> Daniel
>>
>> Alexandre Racine wrote:
>>> I'll install my first SGE soon! Only two little problems and
>>> there we go.
>>>
>>> One of them is users. In the docs, it stipulate : "Ensure that
>>> all users of the grid engine system have the same user names on
>>> all submit and execution hosts."
>>>
>>> That's good, but do we need to have passwordless login between
>>> servers for users or it is not needed? (If I remember correctly,
>>> this is needed for TORQUE).
>>>

>>> Alexandre Racine Projets spéciaux 514-461-1300 poste 3304
>>> alexandre.racine at mhicc.org

Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
Cognigen Corporation