[GE users] TMPDIR

Colin Thomas Colin.Thomas at csr.com
Thu Sep 13 13:03:30 BST 2007

Hello,

I have a question about TMPDIR.

When job is started the TMPDIR is set to

<temp dir from queue config>/<gridId>.<queue Name>

We have a qsh job, which creates an xterm. The xterm is inheriting  the
TMPDIR that the qsh set up. Then the qsh job completes (with the xterm
still running), and the TMPDIR is removed. The xterm then has no TMPDIR
to write to. This did start a conversation saying the the qsh job should
have know that the xterm child process was still active, and so should
not have cleaned up anyway..

I have looked (and failed) to find a switch to disable the TMPDIR from
being deleted : is there such a thing ?

I did note some talk about in messages concerning the notify setting
from the queue configuration (which is set to 60sec by default) but
changing this does not seem to postpone the TMPDIR from being cleaned.

I also tried a prolog script to try and set it to a value that I wanted,
but this route also did not work.

Any thoughts ? (we are 6.03u)

Best regards

Colin Thomas