[GE users] TMPDIR

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Sep 13 13:37:08 BST 2007

Hi,

Am 13.09.2007 um 14:03 schrieb Colin Thomas:

> I have a question about TMPDIR.
>
> When job is started the TMPDIR is set to
>
> <temp dir from queue config>/<gridId>.<queue Name>
>
> We have a qsh job, which creates an xterm.

how? Is it jumping out of the process tree - like started with & ?
You can try to set ENABLE_ADDGRP_KILL in the SGE configuration for
the execd_params so that the xterm is killed when the main job
completed.

-- Reuti

PS: There is the option KEEP_ACTIVE to avoid the removal, but this
way you would end up a) with many orphaned directories on the nodes
over time, and b) violating SGE's policy, as the xterm might still
generate load on the system but SGE will put already another job on it.

> The xterm is inheriting  the
> TMPDIR that the qsh set up. Then the qsh job completes (with the xterm
> still running), and the TMPDIR is removed. The xterm then has no
> TMPDIR
> to write to. This did start a conversation saying the the qsh job
> should
> have know that the xterm child process was still active, and so should
> not have cleaned up anyway..
>
> I have looked (and failed) to find a switch to disable the TMPDIR from
> being deleted : is there such a thing ?
>
> I did note some talk about in messages concerning the notify setting
> from the queue configuration (which is set to 60sec by default) but
> changing this does not seem to postpone the TMPDIR from being cleaned.

PPS: Depends on the handling of the signal by the main job. If it
can't handle it, it will simply quit and tell SGE as a result that it
finished already. If you ignore the generated signal in the
jobscript, then during the grace period before being killed finally,
the TMPDIR should still exist.